I couldn’t resist sharing one of my favorite recipes from the Healthy Kids Inc online meal planner- Herb & Vegetable Quiche. I use this as a go-to for breakfast, brunch, and lunch. This week I made it with local eggs from the Wild Ramp, milk from Snowville Creamery, and gruyere cheese from Laurel Valley Creamery. It’s so rewarding to create meals like this using local ingredients.
Those looking for a gluten free quiche, could easily substitute a gluten free pie shell (which is what we do) or even go crustless. Using egg whites makes this dish incredibly light. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust circle (from a 15-oz package)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 oz gruyere cheese
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and asparagus, seasoning with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the parsley and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, milk, 1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper, and nutmeg (if using), seasoning with salt and pepper. Gently stir in the vegetable mixture and Gruyere cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.